One post went viral, 180 referring domains in 9 days. Should I worry?

› Forums › Digital Marketing › Link Building › One post went viral, 180 referring domains in 9 days. Should I worry?

  • Post
    linkbait_lou
    Participant
    Nice problem to have, but still. Small travel blog, about 90 referring domains built slowly over 3 years. I published a map comparing tipping customs in 60 countries and it got picked up on a couple of big aggregator sites and then scraped everywhere.

    In 9 days: 180 new referring domains. Maybe 40 are legit (news sites, other travel blogs, a couple of university pages). The rest are scrapers, auto-generated sites and random directories copying the image with a link.

    My questions:
    1. Does Google care about a sudden spike like this when it’s clearly organic and tied to one URL?
    2. Should I disavow the scraper junk or just leave it, since I didn’t build any of it?
    3. Is there anything smart I should do right now to turn this into long term value, like internal links from the map page?

    Traffic is up 4x on that page but the rest of the site hasn’t moved yet.

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.